Wenzel Coaching Oregon Mountain Bike Clinic – 2015
When & Where:
- March 28, 2015: Stub Stewart State Park, 10:00 am – 12:30 pm.
- April 4, 2015: Cascade Locks EasyCLIMB Trail System, 10:00 am – 12:30 pm.
- April 11, 2015: Sandy Ridge, 10:00 am -12:30 pm. ( SANDY RIDGE CLINIC LIMITED TO THOSE WHO HAVE ATTENDED ONE OF THESE TWO CLINICS OR BY SPECIAL PERMISSION ONLY) To register for this session, talk with Elaine Bothe at one of the clinics or email for instructions.
Each clinic is from 10 am until 12:30 with breaks. No lunch will be provided; please bring your own food and water. Trails will be open for riding that afternoon.
- Morning Beginning/Intermediate Skills clinics are $35 each or $90 for the series of three.
- One day Skills Clinic morning session and one Intro to Enduro afternoon session is $60. (Doesn’t have to be on the same day)
- Intro to Enduro clinics are $30 each, or $110 for all three plus one morning clinic (Stub Stewart or Cascade Lochs EASYClimb morning clinics only. Not including Sandy Ridge morning session).
- Rad Rate for all six clinics: $175
- PLUS $5 for OBRA day license for non-members, per day OR you can buy a $20 annual OBRA license. No additional charge for OBRA members. Bring proof if you’re registering day-of.
- PLUS $5 parking at Stub Stewart, paid at the gate. Bring cash or checks, they don’t take credit cards. And carpool to save money!
Register: REGISTRATION LINKS TO OBRA SITE COMING SOON!
Mountain Bike Clinic Details:
Get a jump on your mountain bike season! Whether or not you’re interested in racing, good basic skills lay a strong foundation for fun and safety, join Wenzel Coaches Elaine Bothe, Martin Baker, and Rhonda Morin to improve your skills and learn new ones. The participants will be divided into three groups at each clinic, including beginner, intermediate and advanced intermediate.
If you’ve reached a plateau with your technical riding or just want to feel more comfortable on the trail, you will get a lot out of this clinic. We will practice good body positions and moving on the bike for flat and level ground, corners, descents and climbs, learn how to look ahead and be more relaxed. We’ll help you feel more comfortable and confident, and you’ll be able to go faster.
This year we will be back to Cascade Locks and Stub Stewart State Park and Sandy Ridge! For Sandy Ridge and the Intro to Enduro clinics, you must attend at least one of the morning skills clinics at Cascade Locks or Stub Stewart with us this year or by special permission only. The Sandy Ridge morning Skills Clinic will be limited to 12.
An IMIC (through IMBA) Certified MTB Instructor, Coach Elaine Bothe loves to help her clients improve, gain confidence and have fun. She’s passionate about teaching, and her past mentor-ees have gone on to win State Championships and Nationals medals in short track and cross-country. She races MTB locally with the Pro and Cat 1 women, and nationally in her age group, Cat 1.
Associate Coach Martin Baker has been mountain biking since 1990 and racing since 1994. He has won races both on the road and in the dirt and has competed in NORBA Nationals at Mount Snow in Vermont and at Sandpoint Idaho, and Cyclocross Nationals in Portland and Bend.
Associate Coach Rhonda Morin had successes on a mountain bike early in her career, and her natural bike handling instincts and skills serve her well as she podiums regularly in cyclocross. She also makes an occasional appearance at the local Short Track circuit, where in 2010 she won the Masters Women Cat 2 race easily on a borrowed bike, not once but three times.
Levels: beginners and intermediates, men and women, including an all-women beginners’ group. We will be working on basic skills drills: on-bike body position, braking, corners, visual skills and then progress the skills to climbing, descending, switchbacks, log techniques, skinnies and, weather permitting, riding in the mud. All riders progress at their own pace. We will discuss race preparation, training and answer questions at the end.
Gear: Bike in good condition and helmet are required. Mountain bikes are recommended, doesn’t matter if it’s full suspension, hardtail or rigid. Knobby tires are highly recommended. Dress according to the weather, it will be chilly and probably raining. Bring a change of clothing.
Optional but highly recommended: eye protection, hard knee pads, elbow pads and gloves. Grippy flat pedals are acceptable, even recommended if you are a beginner. The slick plastic pedals that come on some new bikes are not acceptable. If you are using flat pedals, shin protection is highly recommended.
March 28, 2015: Stub Stewart State Park near Banks, OR
Meet at Hilltop Day Use Area parking lot. Parking fee not included with registration.
April 4, 2014: Cascade Locks
easyCLIMB Trails at Cascade Locks, Oregon
Meet at the main parking area.
Map: Cascade Locks
April 11, 2014: Sandy Ridge Trail System east of Sandy, Oregon, near Brightwood.
Meet at the main parking area. Map